Actually, easily my new favorite!! I just whipped up a fantastic, quick light meal I just had to share. I found a great recipe for pesto online, and then made a couple tiny tweaks. I’ve always been a little afraid of pesto being way too garlicky or too herby. This was absolutely perrrrfect. Here’s my modified version:
Broken Lasagna Pesto with Greens
- 1 cup pine nuts or walnut pieces (I used pine nuts)
- 2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 T milk (I used soy milk)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese or Italian Blend
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 big handful fresh, chopped watercress, arugula or spinach
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Coarsely chop nuts, garlic and greens.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the nuts with the basil and garlic until finely chopped. With the machine on, add the olive oil and then milk in a thin stream and process until the pesto is almost smooth. Add about half the cheese, then salt and cracked pepper to taste and pulse just until mixed.
- Add the broken lasagna noodles to the boiling water and cook until al dente, adding a little olive oil to prevent sticking. Drain the pasta and return the drained pasta to the pot. Add the pesto, greens and toss well. Transfer the pasta to serving plates, sprinkle with cheese, nuts and cracked pepper and a tiny extra squeeze of lemon juice (if you love lemon like I do.)
If you really love garlic, you may want to add more. With one clove, its a very nice, mild flavor. This tastes so fresh, wonderful and authentic. The color is just lovely, and it would sure go nicely with a big salad with a creamy buttermilk dill dressing. If I were feeling really indulgent, I’d add some good bread for dipping in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs and/or whipped butter, and a nice bottle of wine. Bellisima! La dulce vita!!! Joel was up on the glacier today, so I guess I’ll just have to make it again in a few days! Now my mind is running amok- candelight picnic, dark chocolate & port… hmmm. I’ll have to look into this carrying out this plan now. If you’ll excuse me, I have to go research where I can go in Southeast Alaska without mosquitos eating us faster than we eat our dinner.